Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Fertilization of a flower by pollen from a flower on a genetically different plant.Compare with geitonogamy
- ‘Both species use a mixed breeding system, consisting of xenogamy, geitonogamy, and autogamy; agamospermy is unimportant.’
- ‘There are no available data on the breeding system of C. longii to gauge the predominance of autogamy or xenogamy, or seed production due to apomixis.’
- ‘No differences were noted in pollen germination, pollen tube growth or fertilization between experimental tests of xenogamy and geitonogamy in S. mucugensis.’
- ‘Likewise, there was no difference between the xenogamy treatment and corresponding controls.’
- ‘Treatment O was conducted to examine xenogamy through artificial pollination using pollen from flowers 5 m away, but within the same population.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.