Fertilization of a flower by pollen from a flower on a genetically different plant.Compare with geitonogamy
- ‘Both species use a mixed breeding system, consisting of xenogamy, geitonogamy, and autogamy; agamospermy is unimportant.’
- ‘No differences were noted in pollen germination, pollen tube growth or fertilization between experimental tests of xenogamy and geitonogamy in S. mucugensis.’
- ‘Likewise, there was no difference between the xenogamy treatment and corresponding controls.’
- ‘There are no available data on the breeding system of C. longii to gauge the predominance of autogamy or xenogamy, or seed production due to apomixis.’
- ‘Treatment O was conducted to examine xenogamy through artificial pollination using pollen from flowers 5 m away, but within the same population.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.