One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug which blocks pancreatic enzymes involved in the digestion of fats, used to treat obesity.
- ‘Roche is the maker of the weight loss drug Xenical.’
- ‘Of the 3,304 at-risk patients who participated in the study, all of whom made healthy lifestyle changes, the risk of developing type 2 diabetes was 37% lower in those treated with Xenical.’
- ‘Products included the anti-impotence drug Viagra, the antidepressant Prozac and the anti-obesity drug Xenical.’
- ‘The drug orlistat, or Xenical, which blocks the body's ability to absorb dietary fat, also shows promise.’
- ‘The two leading obesity drugs, Xenical and Meridia, have unpleasant side effects such as diarrhea or high blood pressure, so analysts think Acomplia will quickly win market share if approved.’
1990s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.