One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The possibility of degenerative xanthic changes in a simple bone cyst was also considered in this case, but it was discounted owing to the clinical and radiological features and relatively abundant amounts of foam cells present.’
- ‘In a xanthic albino the process of making melanin has been interrupted.’
- ‘The cloth of the flag should be either of xanthic or of greyish blue colour and on top of the flag post, there should either be a spearhead or a Khanda (a straight dagger with convex side edges leading to slanting top edges ending in a vertex).’
- ‘Salts and esters of xanthic acid are xanthates.’
- ‘As you know, whisky straight from the still is gin-clear; its xanthic tint is produced by tannins in the oak casks in which it matures.’
Early 19th century: from Greek xanthos ‘yellow’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.