One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often as modifier A genre of Chinese fiction or cinema featuring itinerant warriors of ancient China, often depicted as capable of superhuman feats of martial arts.
- ‘The Elimination Pursuit is a lesser-known wuxia that probably should have stayed lesser-known.’
- ‘Jade Empire is set in the alternate fantasy China of wuxia films.’
- ‘"Hero" has much in it to discuss, though the artful, exciting, and intelligent exploration of wuxia is far more interesting than the film's somewhat stolid political allegory.’
- ‘Astonishing action set pieces serve as punctuation marks for a piquant romantic melodrama in Zhang Yimou's second effort in the wuxia genre.’
- ‘Jen is neither a typical villain nor a persona of heroic proportions in the conventional sense of chivalry inherent in the notion of wuxia.’
- ‘You can't do a wuxia film without having a tavern fight.’
- ‘Quite by accident, my friend had some wuxia novels imported from Hong Kong.’
- ‘Tharoor noted that there were international exports of Bollywood films as well as Chinese wuxia and kung fu films.’
- ‘We're looking now at the globalization of wuxia with the success of Crouching Tiger.’
- ‘I'd be a fool if I wasted words savaging wuxia for not being high art.’
- ‘A very disappointing film and falling far short of the mark in the wuxia genre.’
- ‘The film is also an absolutely breathtaking visual feast, surpassing anything that has been achieved with wuxia films.’
- ‘Like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero carries on the wuxia tradition of featuring strong female characters.’
- ‘Born in a time of social/political crisis, the wuxia film reflects a nationalist nostalgia/fantasy for a China that never was.’
- ‘Wong Kar Wai's one and only wuxia film has just been upgraded with loads of elegant enhancements.’
- ‘Woo himself also began early in his career as a director of martial arts kung fu and wuxia pictures.’
- ‘I think Ang's relationship to wuxia is much more literary than it is filmic, in some ways.’
- ‘He has turned wuxia into something utterly exquisite.’
- ‘I thought it would be very interesting for a wuxia movie to have this kind of structure.’
- ‘From the outset, the picture signals a definite genre tradition, and from it flows hommages to the form, to old masters, and to the conventions and themes of wuxia.’
Chinese wŭxiá, from wŭ ‘military’ + xiá ‘knight errant’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.