One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Timber with one or more surfaces planed smooth.
- ‘Sawn or wrot timber versions which are subject to warping need to be bolted or mortised and pinned together.’
- ‘The timber used for the boards should be sawn not wrot.’
- ‘Fences of this type are usually painted and are therefore composed of wrot softwood throughout.’
- ‘The designer has a choice whether to use sawn or wrot timber for the joists and beams’
- ‘The formwork timber may be rough, or wrot, to give a finished surface to the underside of the concrete floor slab.’
1930s: alteration of wrought.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.