1A person of bad character.
scoundrel, villain, rogue, rascal, brute, animal, weasel, snake, monster, ogre, wretch, devil, good-for-nothing, reprobate, wrongdoer, evil-doerView synonyms
- ‘Has it ever struck you what it means to your mother if you turn out a wrong 'un or a waster?’
2Cricketanother term for googly
- ‘Australia would have won by 10 wickets only for Justin Langer to be deceived by a Danish Kaneria wrong'un and bowled for 34 just four runs short of victory target.’
- ‘You've got your leg-spinner, your wrong'un, your flipper, your top-spinner, slider, zooter.’
- ‘I wouldn't be shouldering arms to a googly as a matter of practice - a good wrong'un will pitch on or around off stump, and turn enough to take middle or leg stumps.’
- ‘He doesn't rip as many as he used to and he rarely bowls a wrong'un, but the one that goes straight on, pushed out of the front of the hand - and which accounted for Trescothick, Bell and Andrew Flintoff - is still too good for most batsmen.’
- ‘Not to be confused with the ball which Warne calls his ‘zooter’, which drifts through the air like an orthodox leg break, but merely continues on a similar course after it pitches, the googly - or wrong'un - is any leggie's pride and joy.’
Late 19th century: contraction of wrong one.