One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or activity of grappling with an opponent and trying to throw or hold them down on the ground, typically according to a code of rules.
- ‘Like soccer, bicycling, boxing, and wrestling are popular working-class sports.’
- ‘In college, he participated in nearly every activity available, including wrestling, drama, and writing.’
- ‘General pushing strength is useful to all athletes who participate in contact sports such as boxing, football, rugby and wrestling.’
- ‘He said he hoped his age would inspire both the young and old with interest in wrestling to get actively involved in helping to revive the sport.’
- ‘He threw himself into sports, primarily wrestling, and he succeeded in that until a pretty serious knee injury took him out of the sport.’
- ‘Among the settled Fulani, there is a variety of traditional local sports and games, including wrestling and boxing.’
- ‘These situations would include sport matches in wrestling and judo where people are fighting with resistance.’
- ‘In high school, gymnastics and wrestling had an early hold on Stephan's athletic aspirations.’
- ‘In our western culture we can date the development of martial arts such as archery and wrestling to ancient Greece.’
- ‘I wasn't training with weights to get better in football or wrestling.’
- ‘With the rugby and soccer, we have phenomenal athletes and wrestling could be really big here.’
- ‘Tennis got the chop while sports such as rifle-shooting, kabadi, wrestling and volleyball received the nod.’
- ‘Sam is into wrestling and baseball and playing Playstation video games.’
- ‘No longer is football any less in popularity in Japan as compared to sumo wrestling or baseball, which had for long been the most sought after sporting activity in the country.’
- ‘His programme began with roller skating and wrestling, though not at the same time.’
- ‘Get to as many tournaments as you can and support the sport of women's wrestling.’
- ‘Strength gained by doing this exercise is needed in sports such as wrestling and football to grab and hold or pull in your opponent.’
- ‘They also showed scenes from some kind of fair in Mongolia with lots of people doing Mongolian wrestling and horse racing.’
- ‘The movie is about the sport of high school wrestling, and Jimi, smart guy that he is, loaded the roles with Olympic and well-known wrestlers.’
- ‘He took part in all sorts of games including wrestling, shooting, weight throwing and other sports.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.