Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport or activity of grappling with an opponent and trying to throw or hold them down on the ground, typically according to a code of rules.→ sumo
- ‘These situations would include sport matches in wrestling and judo where people are fighting with resistance.’
- ‘In high school, gymnastics and wrestling had an early hold on Stephan's athletic aspirations.’
- ‘He said he hoped his age would inspire both the young and old with interest in wrestling to get actively involved in helping to revive the sport.’
- ‘They also showed scenes from some kind of fair in Mongolia with lots of people doing Mongolian wrestling and horse racing.’
- ‘Among the settled Fulani, there is a variety of traditional local sports and games, including wrestling and boxing.’
- ‘Sam is into wrestling and baseball and playing Playstation video games.’
- ‘I wasn't training with weights to get better in football or wrestling.’
- ‘He took part in all sorts of games including wrestling, shooting, weight throwing and other sports.’
- ‘With the rugby and soccer, we have phenomenal athletes and wrestling could be really big here.’
- ‘His programme began with roller skating and wrestling, though not at the same time.’
- ‘In college, he participated in nearly every activity available, including wrestling, drama, and writing.’
- ‘No longer is football any less in popularity in Japan as compared to sumo wrestling or baseball, which had for long been the most sought after sporting activity in the country.’
- ‘General pushing strength is useful to all athletes who participate in contact sports such as boxing, football, rugby and wrestling.’
- ‘Like soccer, bicycling, boxing, and wrestling are popular working-class sports.’
- ‘Tennis got the chop while sports such as rifle-shooting, kabadi, wrestling and volleyball received the nod.’
- ‘Get to as many tournaments as you can and support the sport of women's wrestling.’
- ‘Strength gained by doing this exercise is needed in sports such as wrestling and football to grab and hold or pull in your opponent.’
- ‘The movie is about the sport of high school wrestling, and Jimi, smart guy that he is, loaded the roles with Olympic and well-known wrestlers.’
- ‘In our western culture we can date the development of martial arts such as archery and wrestling to ancient Greece.’
- ‘He threw himself into sports, primarily wrestling, and he succeeded in that until a pretty serious knee injury took him out of the sport.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.