One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who takes part in wrestling, especially for sport.‘huge men built like professional wrestlers’
- ‘The legendary professional wrestler is inducted into the Man Show Hall of Fame.’
- ‘His "victims" are anyone from geriatrics in an old people's home to amateur wrestlers in a gym.’
- ‘Andrew is 6 foot 5 and built like a wrestler.’
- ‘I watched a film years ago called "Foul King," about a guy who wanted to become a wrestler.’
- ‘Fans could be even more hardcore than the wrestlers themselves.’
2A person who struggles with a difficulty or problem.‘wrestlers with our nation's dilemmas and challenges’
- ‘How hast thou stood with pleading eyes, Outstretching hands, and fervent cries, Unwearied wrestler with the skies!’
- ‘Thou 'rt passing fast from thy toils away, Thou wrestler with the sea!’
- ‘The name Israel means “wrestler with God.”’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.