One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part of a piano or harpsichord holding the wrest pins.
- ‘Optionally make up a new wrest plank and new bridge, chip, pre-tune and tune as per the Fenner system, calculating the scaling of all the plain wire and bass strings.’
- ‘Both affect tuning stability, though splits in the soundboard mainly affect the piano's tone, whilst splits in the wrest plank can make successful tuning impossible.’
- ‘A harpsichord action characterized by a vertical disposition of the strings which extend downwardly from a wrest plank located slightly above the keyboard.’
- ‘This can result in splits in the soundboard and the drying out of the wrest plank which effectively keeps the pianos tuning pins nice and tight therefore, holding the piano in tune.’
- ‘It is used to drive tuning pins into the wrest plank and prevents damage to the pins as well as to the case.’
- ‘A good wrest plank is vital to any piano, since it has to withstand the pull of up to 20 kg per string.’
- ‘Strings, hammers, bridges, wrest plank tuning pins, have all been renewed with the best available materials.’
- ‘The last coils must end up a millimetre or two above the wrest plank (this is true of all strings).’
- ‘This put intolerable strains on the casework, the string tension trying to pull the wrest plank closer to the soundboard.’
- ‘From my observation, they did not seem to have detected under the veneer that the thickness of the wrest plank was split right through.’
- ‘This is a piece of 1in. wood, 2in. deep, fitted between the wrest plank and the projecting front of the end.’
- ‘The wrest planks are let into the case so that the tension of the strings is distributed uniformly throughout the entire instrument.’
- ‘In the Geigenwerken by Haiden and Truchado, the wrest plank was located at the front, and the hitchpin plate was placed along the edge of the soundboard near the bentside and tail piece.’
- ‘A new laminated wrest plank is fitted and the action has been completely overhauled.’
- ‘During manufacture, the tuning pins are inserted into holes in the wrest plank and the strings are wrapped round them to provide the tension to hold the piano in tune.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.