One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-tailed North American songbird that is the only American member of the babbler family, with dark plumage.
Chamaea fasciata, family Timaliidae
- ‘One interesting exception we saw in Sibley park a few weeks ago was a couple of wrentits with one chick, in the bare lower stems of a coyotebush by the path.’
- ‘Found from northern Oregon to Baja California, the wrentit is a common resident west of deserts, along the coast and in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada.’
- ‘The wrentit is a small bird, and the only babbler in the New World.’
- ‘On the rare occasion when it emerges from the shelter of dense undergrowth, one can see the wrentit's dark gray-brown plumage, white eyes, and long tail, often held up at an angle.’
- ‘Five or ten wrentits came within a few feet of us on the overgrown hiking trail, revealing their low sputting, puffing sound.’
- ‘Bird species that are commonly found include Hutton's vireos, orange-crowned warblers, lesser goldfinches, western scrub jay, oak titmouse, house finches, house wrens, red-tailed hawks, band-tailed pigeons, wild turkey, California quail, spotted towhees, Bewick's wrens, black phoebes, common bushtits, wrentits, acorn woodpeckers, and Nuttall's woodpeckers.’
- ‘Down in the canyon, I often see the house wren, acorn and Nuttall's woodpeckers, wrentit, and, in winter, the yellow-rumped warbler.’
- ‘For some reason, this hole was never used but further upstream, a nesting cavity, which a wrentit had used the previous summer to raise its young, became the perfect site for a pair of house wrens to raise their brood.’
- ‘Other birds you might see include wrentits, red-tailed hawks, and several species of sparrows in winter.’
- ‘On the West Coast, wrentits are very cooperative.’
- ‘‘Brush rabbits, wrentits, Western screech owls, and the California quail’ are the common wildlife listed off by Josiah Clark, a San Francisco native who spent his childhood scrambling around the Presidio with his binoculars.’
- ‘By individually color-banding wrentits at the Stunt Ranch Reserve, I am able to record songs from those individuals and compare those songs to each other.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.