One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large heavy-bodied fish of warm Atlantic waters, the young of which are often found near driftwood or wreckage.
- ‘The strangest, and most appealing, thing about the wreckfish, for me, was its consistency - very firm, very meaty texture.’
- ‘Sea salmons, sea basses and wreckfishes get very large in size and can be caught in any time of the year.’
- ‘Top predators like the wreckfishes are known as keystone species and they tend to keep populations of other species lower on the food web in proper check and also healthier, by preying on the weak and sick.’
- ‘The recapture of this specimen suggests that wreckfish take up a demersal life at a total length of about 50 cm.’
- ‘The quota system prompted derby-style fishing, where fishermen competed to catch as much wreckfish as possible before the quota was met.’
- ‘The main food species of wreckfish in southern Brazil were the hake Merluccius hubbsi, the Argentine shortfin squid Illex argentinus and the red-crab Chaceon notialis.’
- ‘The Medas Islands are well-known for big shoals of yellow-striped saupe and saddled bream, but most notable among their fish are the mero, dusky perch or wreckfish, otherwise known as the grouper.’
- ‘As I made my way over the side to view the stern and see where the propeller had been at 24m, a large grouper, a real wreckfish, discreetly slipped away.’
- ‘Preliminary results show wreckfish consumed predominantly squids and teleost fishes, while both Beryx species consumed mainly squid and shrimps.’
- ‘Dominant fishes include representatives of families that are typical of hard bottom, such as congers, moras, scorpionfishes, and wreckfishes.’
- ‘Once thought to be related to the other basses found in the area (kelp bass, barred sand bass), giant sea bass are now more properly grouped with the wreckfishes, Family Polyprionidae.’
- ‘During the 1990s, the wreckfish population steadily dropped, decreasing more than 90% under heavy fishing and no regulation.’
- ‘The diet of Atlantic wreckfish consists mainly of large ocean cephalopods, crustaceans, and other bottom-dwelling fishes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.