Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Paper or soft material used to cover or enclose something.‘she took the cellophane wrapping off the box’
- ‘He also said that the City Council should write to these people and remind them that they were responsible for the chip boxes, chip wrappings and bottles outside their premises.’
- ‘Nestle Bulgaria also has a toll-free number, recently introduced on the boxes and the wrappings of its products.’
- ‘Ethylene is a raw material for making plastic bags and food wrappings.’
- ‘They are also offering to send out rubbish patrols after closing to pick up bottles, flyers and food wrappings in the immediate vicinity of the premises.’
- ‘We know it was once highly polished because an unused supply was found in the original tissue paper wrappings.’
- ‘She crosses to her dresser and seizes something long and silver from a pile of messy boxes and wrappings.’
- ‘The fountain in the Corn Exchange has been criticised for being stuffed with food paper wrappings most of the time.’
- ‘Using computers and medical scanning techniques, it can reveal the secrets of a mummy without disturbing the wrappings.’
- ‘He turned to hydropathy, a Victorian medical fashion in which a patient is given cold showers, steam baths, and wrappings in wet sheets.’
- ‘The Kenny method involved wrapping the affected body part in hot wrappings to ease muscle pain.’
- ‘Much to everyone's humor, Rose amused herself with the gift wrappings and boxes that were trash to everyone else's eyes except her own.’
- ‘She came closer, and they observed her, her form under her soft white wrappings.’
- ‘He crumpled up the juvenile green and yellow paper wrappings and tossed them into a plastic sack.’
- ‘But who in the right mind will ever reject a good present that comes with beautiful wrappings?’
- ‘They even take care to put their empty wrappings and bottles in the litter bins, and that's something a lot of adults could well emulate.’
- ‘And when the mummy finally reached the van, and the linen wrappings had been removed, the CT scan inexplicably stopped working for more than two hours.’
- ‘This led Harriet and me to delve into the mountains of newspapers that, mingled with Christmas wrappings, were destined for the recycler.’
- ‘However, the bus station got its worse grade to date due to the overflowing bins, plastic bottles, plastic bags and plastic wrappings present there.’
- ‘Delicate cornhusk wrappings and innovative flavor combinations are the calling cards of this Southern California company.’
- ‘The project will allow participants to ‘unwrap’ a mummy virtually, to reveal the preserved remains beneath the wrappings and sarcophagus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.