Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Put on (or dress someone in) warm clothes:‘wrap up warm’‘Tim was well wrapped up against the weather’
dress warmly, wear warm clothes, put on more clothes, muffle upView synonyms
- ‘Jarlox himself just wore pantaloons, his golden skin seeming to glow a little bit in the sun while both Autumn and Sofi were wrapped up in their cloaks, content to hide from view.’
- ‘My father wrapped me up in his bathrobe and I got to sit up with my parents drink flat ginger ale and watch Johnny Carson.’
- ‘She was shaking even though she was wrapped up in a thick long coat in the middle of summer.’
- ‘The baby was born in a matter of minutes and I wrapped her up in a coat that was in the car and gave her straight to her mum.’
- ‘They wrapped her up again in the blanket, underneath the gown, and she looked like a little angel.’
- ‘I was wrapped up in my big coat, my lovely new thick scarf around my neck, beanie on my head and my hood pulled over it.’
- ‘By this time, Neeley had given birth to the first girl and the officers wrapped her up in Karen's police jacket to keep her warm.’
- ‘Ms Robinson is wrapped up in a duvet and wears an overcoat, an all-enveloping shawl and mittens on her presumably chilled fingers.’
- ‘When she had finished wrapping Gwin up in scarf and coat, she immediately disappeared back to the observatory to gather his own outside items.’
- ‘We wrapped him up with thermal blankets because he didn't know how long he'd been in the water and there was a danger of hypothermia.’
2British also wrap it upinformal [in imperative] Be quiet; stop talking or making a noise.be quiet, quieten down, be silent, fall silent, stop talking, hold one's tongue, keep one's lips sealedView synonyms
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.