One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that causes anxiety about actual or potential problems.‘the wind howled and my tin roof rattled worryingly’‘his words now sound worryingly prophetic’sentence adverb ‘worryingly, the plan has been discarded’
- ‘A milestone in the quest for insightful rapprochement between composition and improvisation, Joy Shapes is an incredibly opulent and worryingly irresistible album indeed.’
- ‘In the process asylum seekers, and anybody else who looks foreign, have become the targets of racism which is worryingly on the increase.’
- ‘Worryingly, Japanese investors would have to wait for close to fifty years to be completely sure of making inflation-beating profits.’
- ‘Pretty soon this all-purpose waste will have its appalling effect on insects stirring in the old boy's worryingly insecure glass tanks.’
- ‘More worryingly, what cash they do have appears to be wasted on arms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.