One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The wheel of a worm gear.
- ‘Thus, we are left with two sawn-off chassis blocks with wormwheel, axles, motion, cylinders and front coupler.’
- ‘If you need a gear system whereby the speed is reduced by a considerable amount - a worm and wormwheel are worth considering.’
- ‘It is important to note that all of the multi-start worms will carry precisely this angle, and it is this that allows them to use the same multi-start wormwheels.’
- ‘Here I drive it with the wormwheels on two side-by-side motors (red and blue).’
- ‘For example, the wormwheel may be formed from sintered iron whilst the worm is made of carbon steel.’
- ‘In a worm gear set the contact between the teeth of the worm and of the wormwheel has a high degree of sliding compared with other types of gear.’
- ‘The worm always drives the wormwheel and never the other way round.’
- ‘It's a bit of a pain though that the wormwheel of the thread chaser dial has to be changed when doing the different pitches.’
- ‘The Wire drive unit is of proven design utilising intermeshed steel wormshaft and bronze wormwheels.’
- ‘The 120-tooth wormwheel drives the first gear of the bevel gear cluster via the shaft to which both are affixed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.