One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanical arrangement consisting of a toothed wheel worked by a short revolving cylinder (worm) bearing a screw thread.
- ‘We don't have to use hydraulic motors or worm gear reduction drives.’
- ‘An electric motor drives the other input shaft via a worm gear that wraps around the planetary gearset.’
- ‘In the click reel, the wooden screw acts as a continuous wedge turning the worm gear.’
- ‘This pinion received its power through a set of extra heavy worm gears controlled by an open and cross belt, producing the reverse movement for tilting the saw in either direction.’
- ‘It features worm gears at both the left end of the rear hub and the right end of the front hub that are connected by rigid, rotating rods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.