One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanical arrangement consisting of a toothed wheel worked by a short revolving cylinder (worm) bearing a screw thread.
- ‘We don't have to use hydraulic motors or worm gear reduction drives.’
- ‘It features worm gears at both the left end of the rear hub and the right end of the front hub that are connected by rigid, rotating rods.’
- ‘This pinion received its power through a set of extra heavy worm gears controlled by an open and cross belt, producing the reverse movement for tilting the saw in either direction.’
- ‘In the click reel, the wooden screw acts as a continuous wedge turning the worm gear.’
- ‘An electric motor drives the other input shaft via a worm gear that wraps around the planetary gearset.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.