Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The total number of hours or days worked in a week.‘we need a shorter workweek and protected benefits for contract workers’
- ‘When others are putting in 60-hour workweeks, these clever souls have found ways to get out of the office early and often.’
- ‘She was enjoying the life she had and had no interest in going back to 55-hour workweeks.’
- ‘Average manufacturing overtime increased in November to 4.4 hours and the workweek to 40.8 hours.’
- ‘The state of Bavaria has extended the workweek to 42 hours from 40.’
- ‘This could mean more flexible schedules, a compressed workweek or a part-time working schedule.’
- ‘Although he also likes to fish, camp and play softball, finding time in a six-day workweek to do any of that is a real challenge.’
- ‘Even those at the top were not immune to the stress created by 70-hour workweeks.’
- ‘German Railways, similarly, plans to increase its standard workweek from 38 hours to 42.’
- ‘South Korea is one of the world's only industrialized nations to still have a six-day workweek.’
- ‘I've been doing more of this lately - the workweek now starts Saturday evening and goes straight through to Friday morning.’
- ‘And Murphy, who typically puts in 80-to 100-hour workweeks, says more spin-offs are in the works.’
- ‘Think of all you do before you figure the hours of your workweek.’
- ‘Workers, many of them immigrants, say they received only $75 in wages for 60-and 70-hour workweeks.’
- ‘In this very tight job market, more and more employers are agreeing to reduced hour workweeks and more flexible work schedules.’
- ‘However, a campaign promise to further reduce the workweek to 35 hours was never implemented.’
- ‘‘You hear about chefs putting in 80-hour workweeks,’ he says.’
- ‘Thus, it was not uncommon for me to work consecutive 60-hour workweeks.’
- ‘The small print on one flier noted that a one-year contract was based on a six-day workweek, 12 hours per day.’
- ‘Previously, a special permit was required if the mandatory workweek exceeded 48 hours.’
- ‘The average workweek shrank to 36.6 hours from 36.7 in June.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.