Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1US A diagnostic examination of a patient.‘a full neurological workup’
- ‘We present a case in which the pressure-volume (P-V) curve proved invaluable in the diagnostic workup of a patient.’
- ‘Information used to code the injury is obtained from surgical findings or diagnostic workups.’
- ‘A detailed physical examination and radiologic workup failed to reveal a primary tumor elsewhere.’
- ‘Anyone who has prolonged hiccups, however, should have a diagnostic workup to rule out a serious medical condition.’
- ‘Therefore, the workup would be complete with a single test.’
- ‘The diagnostic workup begins with a thyroid-stimulating hormone level test.’
- ‘Iron deficiency requires a diagnostic workup to determine the underlying cause of the deficiency, medical intervention to correct it, and replacement iron therapy.’
- ‘The patient underwent an extensive workup for additional metastatic disease; none was found.’
- ‘The diagnostic workup, including imaging studies, was negative for identifying the source of sepsis.’
- ‘This can be done only if the antibody workup is completed prior to the initiation of surgery.’
- ‘The diagnostic workup of a child with back pain should always commence with a proper history and physical exam.’
- ‘Patients who complain of fatigue are typically given a complete workup.’
- ‘This review examines current approaches in the workup and treatment of patients suffering from airway impairment.’
- ‘The initial workup included documentation of the patient's history, physical examination, and performance score.’
- ‘The patient underwent a diagnostic workup that included a colonoscopy and computed tomographic scan.’
- ‘Bleeding in the brain can sometimes be responsible for these ‘exertional’ headaches, which is why it is crucial to get a complete neurological workup.’
- ‘Complete workup and diagnosis of malakoplakia are possible even in specimens as small as those obtained with a needle core biopsy.’
- ‘The patient refused additional metastatic workup, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy.’
- ‘The patient was initially admitted to the medical intensive care unit, where she had a full workup and was found to have a gastric mass.’
- ‘The patient underwent a staging workup that included computed tomography scans of the chest and abdomen and bilateral bone marrow biopsies and aspirates.’
- 1.1Chemistry A series of experimental procedures carried out to separate and purify substances for analysis.
- ‘After workup, the yield of Xe - C 60 is roughly 0.3%.’
- ‘In this latter situation, molecular analysis should be part of a routine workup for a suspected malignant process.’
- ‘That falls apart on workup to two carbonyl compounds (or other things, depending on what you add to the reaction.)’
- ‘Hydrophobic integral membrane proteins are prone to sample losses during the workup and analysis.’
- ‘Sample workup, hybridization, and analysis were performed as described previously.’
2(in a military context) a period of training or preparation, typically for a specific operation.‘the first Harrier squadron began its workup’
- ‘The period culminated in a workup and operational readiness evaluation that took place in the Northern Australia exercise area in October.’
- ‘He will allow them to plan and cost fleet activities such as maintenance, workups and operations, as well as identify the cost of alternative schedules.’
- ‘He said he had a busy schedule ahead, starting with an operational workup.’
- ‘You asked for outstanding workups, interoperability, boat work, jackstay evolutions, replenishments at sea, gunnery, air sorties, anti-submarine warfare, anti-air warfare and navigation.’
- ‘He was in waters off Adelaide on a workup.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.