Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flat surface for working on, especially in a kitchen.
bench, board, work surface, counter, desk, bar, buffet, stand, workbench, worktable, top, horizontal surface, surfaceView synonyms
- ‘As well as the debris scattered around the worktops, muddy footprints covered the whole kitchen.’
- ‘A breakfast bar has been incorporated into the kitchen's granite effect worktops.’
- ‘The kitchens are hand crafted, with porcelain handles and granite worktops.’
- ‘Lorraine responded by asking us to keep him off the kitchen worktops.’
- ‘She later discovered that her purse, containing £100 and credit cards, was missing from a kitchen worktop.’
- ‘We've been oiling and waxing the worktops in the kitchen and the floor in the hall respectively today.’
- ‘He came closer and leant heavily on the kitchen worktop, putting the bottle down.’
- ‘The kitchen has granite worktops and a Belfast sink.’
- ‘Finally Jo found his keys on the kitchen worktop and slipped them into his pocket.’
- ‘His kitchen worktops offer a prime example of this approach.’
- ‘I proudly brought it into the house and set it down on the kitchen worktop.’
- ‘In the kitchen, granite worktops are teamed with light beech presses, and a large island unit is used as a breakfast area.’
- ‘The kitchen has fitted oak units, granite worktops and a tiled floor.’
- ‘The kitchen features granite worktops, cherrywood units, a walk-in larder and integrated Neff appliances as standard.’
- ‘The kitchen features slick matt white units and granite worktops, while the south-facing bay window grants a view over the garden.’
- ‘Anyway, I can see straight into the kitchen, to the worktop over the oven.’
- ‘Features include polished oak flooring, handmade timber kitchen units with oak worktops and a cast iron fireplace with tiled inset in the dining room.’
- ‘The dining room is now full of building materials and equipment and I have the kitchen units and worktops to be delivered yet.’
- ‘Clutter in the kitchen along the worktops should also be avoided, especially if this area is visible from the sitting area.’
- ‘It stocks more than 100 different types of stone, from slab suitable for kitchen worktops to floor tiles and mosaic sets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.