Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A paper listing questions or tasks for students.
- ‘Students related a dislike of worksheets and note taking.’
- ‘After the bell rang at 8: 20, and the morning announcements were read by 8: 25, she handed out the worksheets to her students.’
- ‘After completing and reviewing the maze worksheet, students completed a writing activity for each of the four civilizations.’
- ‘Students recorded notes on worksheets for future reference.’
- ‘There were questions on our worksheets, for every different room.’
- ‘Supplements at the end of the notebook include maps, as well as a number of helpful student worksheets that may be duplicated.’
- ‘This format is basically self-instruction where a group of three to four students complete the worksheet together to facilitate exchange of ideas and enhance discussion.’
- ‘At the end of the training session, students independently completed a worksheet containing six story situations by reading the story situation and mapping the information onto the diagrams.’
- ‘The students will be given simple worksheets with different shapes hidden in dotted lines.’
- ‘Harris put together journals with worksheets to help students retain information from the books.’
- ‘By the middle of class, by 8: 50 or so, all of the students had finished their worksheets and turned them in.’
- ‘Students compare their two worksheets, looking for similarities and differences.’
- ‘Students then complete the worksheets, based on the prices provided, to determine the monetary costs of smoking given different brands and amounts of cigarettes smoked.’
- ‘Task sheets and worksheets will be available to teachers and the final projects are presented in both electronic format and hard copy.’
- ‘A chapter from a book about alternatives to self injury, and a worksheet asking questions about previous incidences of self harm.’
- ‘Lesson plans, resources, movie clips, scripts and worksheets for media students and teachers are free on the web.’
- ‘The worksheet included questions that helped students think critically about the author or artist, the audience and purpose of the document.’
- ‘He usually volunteered in the office during his study hall period, doing odd jobs like shredding paper, copying worksheets for the students, and sorting the teachers' mail.’
- ‘The curriculum provides student worksheets and includes a grading rubric that outlines minimal, adequate and extensive answers for the teachers.’
- ‘In their classrooms, as in most classrooms, comprehension was assessed by teacher questions, worksheets, or journal activities.’
2A paper for recording work done or in progress.
- ‘They work with their personnel offices to update records, fill out promotion-point worksheets and prepare for military-knowledge boards.’
- ‘After agreement between Contractor and Managing Contractor, Contractor shall submit an invoice based on the progress payment worksheets.’
- ‘The inspector will check worksheets, instrument printouts, and medical records for completeness.’
- ‘In using the analytical framework and worksheet process, the analyst determines the details of the element identified on the framework and records the information on the worksheet where it is available for later analysis.’
- 2.1Computing A data file created and used by a spreadsheet program, which takes the form of a matrix of cells when displayed.
- ‘The example then displays a message in the upper left cell of the worksheet.’
- ‘A database table is broadly akin to a worksheet in an Excel spreadsheet.’
- ‘A Visual Basic program was used to extract data from the worksheet.’
- ‘Its interfaces with Microsoft Word, worksheets, and PDF files have all been improved.’
- ‘Each product team's efforts are captured in Microsoft Office documents, such as Excel worksheets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.