One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly; a beating.‘she told him to give me a good working-over as payback’
beating, thrashing, walloping, thumping, battering, pounding, pummelling, slapping, smacking, punching, bludgeoning, thwacking, cuffing, buffeting, mauling, pelting, lambastingView synonyms
- ‘They are the real bullies in life and what they need is a real working over by a man their own size.’
- ‘They gave him a vicious working over, but he wouldn't talk.’
- ‘Have you ever seen anyone after they've given him a proper working-over?’
- ‘Three men came round to his apartment block, ambushed him in the stairwell, and gave him a violent working over.’
- ‘The climax of this film was a scene in which two thugs give Roy a working-over in a barn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.