One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Work very hard.‘Auntie can work her fingers to the bone, but it's Miss Green that gets the thanks’
work hard, labour, work one's fingers to the bone, work like a trojan, work like a dog, work day and night, exert oneself, keep at it, keep one's nose to the grindstone, grind away, slave away, grub away, plough away, plod awayView synonyms
- ‘We are working our fingers to the bone to try and rescue our comrades, but at the moment we have yet to locate where their screams were coming from.’
- ‘The man she had hated so was the man she worked her fingers to the bone to save.’
- ‘His mom, who is kind and good and true, works her fingers to the bone, running the inn.’
- ‘I've worked my fingers to the bone, cleaning, organizing and even releasing to the trash bin things I no longer need.’
- ‘‘We lived in a tiny little flat, and had no money, and my mother had to work her fingers to the bone,’ Carol says.’
- ‘There are people working their fingers to the bone every day for less than this proposed salary.’
- ‘She makes her grandson Shiro work his fingers to the bone to keep this place in top shape, and then tricks the neighborhood kids into doing the rest.’
- ‘In India, some kids are forced to toil in cotton fields while others work their fingers to the bone weaving silk.’
- ‘It was just the 5th movement that had lately been keeping her up all night, working her fingers to the bone.’
- ‘I work my fingers to the bone, and get precious little gratitude for it, and all you can do is treat me like some glorified gofer who's wet behind the ears?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.