One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Work extremely hard.
work hard, labour, work one's fingers to the bone, work like a trojan, work like a dog, work day and night, exert oneself, keep at it, keep one's nose to the grindstone, grind away, slave away, grub away, plough away, plod awayView synonyms
- ‘He tells us that although there has been inactivity on our part, ‘the ground staff have been working like Trojans’.’
- ‘I don't think anyone would argue that Tommy has worked like a Trojan for years and years.’
- ‘He worked like a Trojan and he could not do enough for anybody.’
- ‘And she worked like a Trojan and her morals were irreproachable.’
- ‘He carried on working like a Trojan and kept up a punishing travel schedule that took him to factories all over the Far East, overseeing the manufacture of his shoe designs.’
- ‘Staff at our hospitals worked like Trojans and came through with flying colours.’
- ‘They have worked like Trojans and in appalling conditions.’
- ‘The head teacher won't mention this, but she was feeding everyone from the canteen wagon - she worked like a Trojan that night.’
- ‘He works like a Trojan and takes enormous pride in his produce.’
- ‘‘They worked like Trojans,’ he said at the time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.