One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Short-term experience of employment, typically arranged for older pupils by schools.
- ‘Mark Bennett suggests that the best course of action is to approach the bigger agencies for work experience.’
- ‘This opportunity is ideal for students seeking work experience or employed people who are unable to help during the week.’
- ‘From the age of 14 the pupils spend two days a week on work experience and all are expected to go to college.’
- ‘Its volunteers, who are unemployed people getting work experience, are referred by Twin Valley Homes.’
- ‘She recently did work experience at her old school and she got some really lovely cards from the children.’
- ‘James by now had left school and was attending work experience projects, including some gardening work.’
- ‘She is dedicating her two weeks' work experience from school to fundraising.’
- ‘Recycled Sports recently had a couple of new work experience employees to work in their Lismore store.’
- ‘There will be a chance to take part in a summer school as well as undertake relevant work experience and community service projects.’
- ‘On the exchange visits pupils are able to take part in work experience in their host country.’
- ‘I hated going to school and valued work experience more than academic education.’
- ‘From time to time we have schoolkids who come to us for work experience.’
- ‘It was part of a rolling programme of work experience for older pupils in the district's schools.’
- ‘It is part of a drive to dispel a growing myth that work experience is only for those pupils who are bored with the academic curriculum.’
- ‘She remembers a journalist coming to work at the BBC who had once been assigned to her on work experience at the Evening Times.’
- ‘Enterprise Placements go a stage further than the normal work experience that firms are asked to give students.’
- ‘Some people have completed work experience and the course has led many into employment.’
- ‘Another valuable aspect of the college's catering course is work experience.’
- ‘I came here last summer for work experience, before working out in the English countryside.’
- ‘I knew what it would be like being a solicitor as I did work experience with a legal practice in Dundee.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.