A confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases, specifically (in psychiatry) as a form of speech indicative of advanced schizophrenia.
- ‘There are strange moments of lucidity and then long fugues of confusion and word salad.’
- ‘The current classification by pathology puts word salad with word salad, obesity with obesity, and phobia with phobia.’
- ‘She doesn't do sound-bites; she does word salad - great jumbled streams of consciousness which she tosses, revises and reinterprets.’
- ‘The guests contribute positive balance to our rapper's frantic word salad, but it isn't exactly necessary.’
- ‘Okay, now, do you feel: a) needlessly annoyed by a Dadaist word salad; or b) intrigued?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.