Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases, specifically (in psychiatry) as a form of speech indicative of advanced schizophrenia.
- ‘Okay, now, do you feel: a) needlessly annoyed by a Dadaist word salad; or b) intrigued?’
- ‘The current classification by pathology puts word salad with word salad, obesity with obesity, and phobia with phobia.’
- ‘There are strange moments of lucidity and then long fugues of confusion and word salad.’
- ‘The guests contribute positive balance to our rapper's frantic word salad, but it isn't exactly necessary.’
- ‘She doesn't do sound-bites; she does word salad - great jumbled streams of consciousness which she tosses, revises and reinterprets.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.