One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A program or machine for storing, manipulating, and formatting text entered from a keyboard and providing a printout.
- ‘In addition to the usual bug fixes, the update is said to add not only a web browser and an email program, but a word processor and a spreadsheet.’
- ‘In the same way that a scale here and a chord there do not a symphony make, there is more to a word processor than a spell checker and a couple of font definitions.’
- ‘The video signals leaking from your monitor change as you type using a text editor or word processor.’
- ‘The regional government paid a local company $180,000 to assemble a set of freely available software, including operating system, word processor, spreadsheet and other applications.’
- ‘Sixty central processing units boast a memory bandwidth of 22.4 gigabytes, one thousand times the computing power of the word processor used to create this text.’
- ‘Historically, data consisted primarily of text, word processor documents, spreadsheets and the like.’
- ‘Taking a word processor or text editor as our example, the user's goal is to write something.’
- ‘Armed with a word processor, a spreadsheet and some program to access their proprietary software running on a server, you could quickly convert a bank over to Linux desktops.’
- ‘Even with tabbed browsing, doing research effectively requires using a word processor or some other app to write things down.’
- ‘At times like this, a suite of office software with a word processor, a spreadsheet and a selection of other handy office tools comes into its own.’
- ‘It also allows the user to copy and paste the text into a word processor, email or clipboard.’
- ‘The Model 100 comes with a strong application lineup, including a word processor called TEXT, an organizer, address book and telecommunications program.’
- ‘The suite comes with three main components - a word processor, a spreadsheet and a graphical presentation program.’
- ‘Business machines were drab, bare-bones affairs that could connect to the Internet, manage to run a spreadsheet and a word processor at the same time, and that's about it.’
- ‘The word processor and spreadsheet are all right but I'd be lying if I didn't say they barely measure up to Office 97 which frankly, is a disgrace.’
- ‘The program contains a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program.’
- ‘Most application programs, such as a word processor or spreadsheet, are assigned this priority.’
- ‘The suite contains the key programs you're likely to need, including word processor and spreadsheet software.’
- ‘Frankly, in many larger places, the folks who do the initial screening don't have a clue about operating systems or computers, beyond pulling up a word processor or spreadsheet and using it.’
- ‘Most of them run typical office software, including word processor, spreadsheet and e-mail, so it is the perfect time to offer them an alternative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.