Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A program or machine for storing, manipulating, and formatting text entered from a keyboard and providing a printout.
- ‘Sixty central processing units boast a memory bandwidth of 22.4 gigabytes, one thousand times the computing power of the word processor used to create this text.’
- ‘The word processor and spreadsheet are all right but I'd be lying if I didn't say they barely measure up to Office 97 which frankly, is a disgrace.’
- ‘The regional government paid a local company $180,000 to assemble a set of freely available software, including operating system, word processor, spreadsheet and other applications.’
- ‘The suite comes with three main components - a word processor, a spreadsheet and a graphical presentation program.’
- ‘In the same way that a scale here and a chord there do not a symphony make, there is more to a word processor than a spell checker and a couple of font definitions.’
- ‘The video signals leaking from your monitor change as you type using a text editor or word processor.’
- ‘Taking a word processor or text editor as our example, the user's goal is to write something.’
- ‘Most of them run typical office software, including word processor, spreadsheet and e-mail, so it is the perfect time to offer them an alternative.’
- ‘Armed with a word processor, a spreadsheet and some program to access their proprietary software running on a server, you could quickly convert a bank over to Linux desktops.’
- ‘Even with tabbed browsing, doing research effectively requires using a word processor or some other app to write things down.’
- ‘Historically, data consisted primarily of text, word processor documents, spreadsheets and the like.’
- ‘At times like this, a suite of office software with a word processor, a spreadsheet and a selection of other handy office tools comes into its own.’
- ‘In addition to the usual bug fixes, the update is said to add not only a web browser and an email program, but a word processor and a spreadsheet.’
- ‘Most application programs, such as a word processor or spreadsheet, are assigned this priority.’
- ‘The program contains a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program.’
- ‘Business machines were drab, bare-bones affairs that could connect to the Internet, manage to run a spreadsheet and a word processor at the same time, and that's about it.’
- ‘It also allows the user to copy and paste the text into a word processor, email or clipboard.’
- ‘Frankly, in many larger places, the folks who do the initial screening don't have a clue about operating systems or computers, beyond pulling up a word processor or spreadsheet and using it.’
- ‘The suite contains the key programs you're likely to need, including word processor and spreadsheet software.’
- ‘The Model 100 comes with a strong application lineup, including a word processor called TEXT, an organizer, address book and telecommunications program.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.