Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The number of bits in a word.
- ‘As a result of this, the word length can be extended from the existing 64 and 128-bit architectures to words of thousands and even millions of bits.’
- ‘I stuck to the internal 96kHz setting, which made a big difference over the old SPX90 with its 31.25kHz sample rate, 16-bit word length and limited frequency response.’
- ‘She believed ‘Clear’ and ‘Submit’ buttons need to be in separate locations so they aren't confused, and that word length needs to be specified for open-ended questions.’
- ‘The Record / Play window provides meters and input selection for each of the card's 16 channels, as well as mutes and dithering options; word length info and dropout tallies are also displayed.’
- ‘Last month, I looked at the subjects of chips, clocks, word length and DAW power.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.