One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
News or rumours spread.‘word got around that he was on the verge of retirement’
- ‘There are only 15 people here who've got a job, so word gets around fast.’
- ‘In the small circle of professionals, bad business practices will kill a company very quickly as word gets around.’
- ‘Word gets around quickly about who's looking for trouble.’
- ‘I guess word gets around fast for even the teachers too.’
- ‘Word gets around much better than it used to.’
- ‘Once word gets around that its back, we'll start getting new members. "’
- ‘The audience seems to growing as word gets around about how much fun we have at gigs.’
- ‘Two girls attended the first class but the community centre chairman said she is confident more children will join when word gets around.’
- ‘But once unlicenced ones know they can come here and operate without any hassle word gets around.’
- ‘Town officials expect the numbers to grow as word gets around about the lottery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.