Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An inability to identify spoken words, resulting from a brain defect such as Wernicke's aphasia.
- ‘Cortical deafness is essentially the combination of word deafness and auditory agnosia.’
- ‘Other common names are auditory perception problem, auditory comprehension deficit, central auditory dysfunction, central deafness and so-called ‘word deafness.’’
- ‘The findings have important implications for our conceptualization of pure word deafness and its subtypes.’
- ‘Pure word deafness can arise from a problem at any point of the process of auditory encoding for speech.’
- ‘Patients with pure word deafness have highly selective auditory perception problems.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.