One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pungent sauce containing soy sauce and vinegar, first made in Worcester.
- ‘Add the honey, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, water, paprika, and salt.’
- ‘Adding other ingredients such as 2 tablespoons of applesauce, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup or mustard to every 4 ounces of meat will not only perk up the flavor but also yield softer, juicier meat.’
- ‘Marinara sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salad dressings, and hot dogs and deli meats may also contain fish or shellfish ingredients.’
- ‘On the table there are, in addition to the usual salt and pepper shakers, Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce and Steak sauce, Tabasco and vinegar.’
- ‘On each table is a sparkling clean woven basket with very clean bottles of malt vinegar, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, HP sauce, Coleman's mustard and Tabasco.’
- ‘Lost moisture, especially in burgers and meatballs, can be replaced with ingredients such as soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, broth, ketchup or tomato sauce or mustard.’
- ‘For those who wish for steak sauce, this is also available on the table, along with the usual salt and pepper shakers, Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco and vinegar.’
- ‘Add enough soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce to fully coat chicken pieces.’
- ‘Instead of adding Worcestershire sauce, Soya sauce or balsamic vinegar to your stir-fry, try adding a bit of beer.’
- ‘‘A chicken tikka pizza with Worcestershire sauce,’ said Ryan.’
- ‘On our table were the usual condiments, plus HP sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salad cream, tomato ketchup and Colman's mustard.’
- ‘I have modelled this recipe on the famous steak tartare, and added a little Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard as well.’
- ‘A cane basket was brought to the table containing tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, HP sauce, vinegar and Coleman's mustard.’
- ‘In an ovenproof casserole, combine the beans, bacon, tomatoes and their juices, tomato purée, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, bay leaf, salt and pepper.’
- ‘Stir in the bread, cayenne, Old Bay seasoning, mayonnaise, parsley, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper.’
- ‘But the sky's the limit when coming up with a sauce concoction, and mustards, cloves, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and lemon are just a few available choices of ingredients in a good barbecue sauce mix.’
- ‘Mix the oil, honey, soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce and lemon sauce and pour over the kebabs.’
- ‘On the other hand, I've always relied on ingredients that turn out to be high in glutamates: Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, aged grana cheeses, and chicken stock.’
- ‘Whisk together the buttermilk, lemon juice, anchovy paste, dry mustard, minced garlic pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan cheese.’
- ‘And without them, I might never have discovered that the secret for a really authentic-tasting, perfectly balanced Tuscan bean soup, is a nice big dash of Worcester sauce.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.