One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in sheep shearing) a person whose job is trimming shorn fleeces and rolling them up to make them ready for grading.‘the rouseabout was waiting for the fleece and he carried it to the wool roller’
- ‘The wool-roller should be well over his work, and a table 2 feet 10 inches in height is about right.’
- ‘The wool roller aims at rolling the fleece in such a manner that the shoulder and side wool are left exposed.’
- ‘After I'd run down with the fleece to the wool roller, I had to hurry back and sweep the wool away.’
- ‘In sheds requiring more than one wool-roller, the better plan is to allot two rollers to each table.’
- ‘A picker-up gathered the fleece with a great show of labour and care, and tabled it, to the disgust of old Scotty, the wool-roller.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.