One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bird with a strong bill and a stiff tail, which climbs tree trunks to find insects and drums on dead wood to mark territory.
Family Picidae (the woodpecker family): many genera and numerous species. The woodpecker family also includes the wrynecks, piculets, flickers, and sapsuckers
- ‘Mexico is home to toucans, vultures, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, parrots, macaws, and quetzals.’
- ‘We also saw the usual variety of gulls, raptors, woodpeckers, and passerines throughout the morning.’
- ‘For example, ground birds can usually only walk horizontally on the ground whereas woodpeckers climb up and down vertically on tree trunks.’
- ‘Carolina wrens, tufted titmice, and red-bellied woodpeckers are other relative newcomers to our area.’
- ‘Great-spotted woodpeckers drum while chiffchaffs, blackcaps, chaffinches and wrens sing their hearts out.’
- ‘Sparrows, chickadees, woodpeckers, and an assortment of other creatures were awake and bustling that summer morning.’
- ‘The reserve is home to woodpeckers, chaffinches, bullfinches and blackbirds.’
- ‘The array of birds included a hen harrier, barn owls, kingfishers, sparrowhawks, long-eared owls, kestrels and woodpeckers.’
- ‘One of the most strongly migratory woodpeckers, the Red-naped Sapsucker travels as far south as central Mexico for the winter.’
- ‘We did not move the feeder until it had been visited by both nuthatches and by at least two titmice and two woodpeckers.’
- ‘Smallest woodpecker (sparrow sized) and often elusive preferring the tops of trees.’
- ‘Our latest visitor, number 138, was a woodpecker, a yellow-bellied sapsucker.’
- ‘Unlike most other woodpeckers, Northern Flickers are principally ground feeders, though they also forage on tree trunks and limbs.’
- ‘This has been confirmed experimentally in some woodpeckers, wrens, fairywrens and warblers.’
- ‘All other birds, from loons and penguins to woodpeckers and sparrows, are placed together in the third main lineage, the Neoaves.’
- ‘He hid near nests of black woodpeckers, kingfishers, northern hazel hens and Eurasian sparrow hawks.’
- ‘The air in the Lake District this weekend was so clear and quiet except for bird calls - buzzards, curlew, woodpeckers, geese and owls.’
- ‘Brown Creepers spend most of their time on main trunks or major limbs, bracing themselves with their tails like miniature woodpeckers.’
- ‘Throughout Europe today the woodpecker is variously called Rain Bird, Rain Fowl and Rain Pie.’
- ‘Habitat saturation appears to be playing a role in both the acorn woodpecker and pukeko systems.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.