One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An imaginary prize said to be awarded to the person who is last in a race or other competition.‘they finished with the wooden spoon after losing a penalty shoot-out’
- ‘Before the season started the Scots fans were probably eyeing Rome as a wooden spoon decider and so it was, but not for Scotland.’
- ‘Yorkshire will be keen to avoid the wooden spoon and victory in Whitehaven would see them finish as runners-up.’
- ‘A finish anywhere above the wooden spoon position, he believes, would be a decent start.’
- ‘For Scotland, avoiding the wooden spoon has been achieved already, and winning the title is impossible.’
- ‘Until then, they will need every last scrap if they are to hamper Ireland in Rome on Sunday and avoid the wooden spoon.’
- ‘Keith Wood joked after the match that it was nice to see someone else picking up the wooden spoon for a change.’
- ‘The performance of both sides was very much that of two teams desperate to avoid the wooden spoon.’
- ‘We need to win it to avoid a wooden spoon and to rescue our season, they need to win it to win a Grand Slam.’
- ‘Everyone is waiting for them to meet head-to-head to sort out whose name gets inscribed on the wooden spoon.’
- ‘If Casino want to avoid the wooden spoon they will need to pick up some additional players to strengthen their list.’
- ‘Graham and the team have now been presented with a wooden spoon booby prize for their efforts.’
- ‘None of them topped any of our tables, nor did any finish consistently well, with the silvers, bronzes and wooden spoons shared out fairly evenly.’
- ‘These are then followed by a wooden spoon final, a third and fourth place off and the grand final.’
- ‘The last two Grand Slams were followed by a wooden spoon and that outcome is not entirely out the question this year.’
- ‘At the end, a grinning Italian fan had presented Kirwan with a battered wooden spoon.’
- ‘It's one thing beating Italy and Scotland, who are competing for the wooden spoon.’
- ‘The ceremony is also to include the award of a wooden spoon for the worst performer in the parliament.’
- ‘If York win at the Thunderdome, Gateshead will remain bottom of the NFP and face a huge task to avoid the wooden spoon.’
- ‘They were the favourites for the wooden spoon before the season started but they've recorded two wins from their first four games.’
- ‘After all, last year was a true wooden spoon with losses all the way, so this is a good guide to see how far we have come.’
A spoon made of wood was formerly given to the candidate coming last in the Cambridge mathematical tripos.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.