Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shrike of southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East, having black and white plumage with a chestnut head.
- ‘However I did log a woodchat shrike, numerous barn and red-rumped swallows, a veritable swarm of common swifts, and a common buzzard.’
- ‘The telegraph wires in the fields held a large number of bee eaters, woodchat shrikes and corn buntings, there were several azure winged magpies and large numbers of swallows and martins.’
- ‘A glance at a map shows the woodchat to be well distributed as a summer visitor in much of Europe.’
- ‘On occasion woodchats have been known to plunder the nests of other birds.’
- ‘In spring especially they come alive with collared fly catchers, woodchat shrikes (and occasional masked shrike) and huge flocks of all kinds of warblers.’
- ‘The songbird family of shrikes that is responsible for such carnage is well represented by the woodchat shrike, pictured here grappling with a lizard.’
- ‘A pair of woodchat shrikes were carrying food and hanging around a couple of bushes.’
- ‘The stunning list of passerines to be found at the site includes calandra lark, crag martin, rufous - tailed scrub robin, three species of wheatears, blue rock thrush, various species of warblers, rock nuthatch, lesser grey and woodchat shrikes, rose - coloured starling, rock sparrow, black - headed and ortolan buntings, and others.’
- ‘There was a female redstart, a couple of Rüppell's warblers, northern, Cyprus and black-eared wheatears, three woodchat shrikes, chiffchaff, and a tawny pipit.’
- ‘Young woodchats especially show a lot of white in flight.’
- ‘Although the same size as a red-backed shrike, the woodchat gives an impression of being smaller and more compact.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.