One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American tick which infests wild and domestic animals, often found clinging to plants and responsible for transmitting spotted fever.
- ‘Rocky Mountain wood tick is a vector of bovine anaplasmosis and canine babesiosis (blood parasites of animals), and the toxins injected as it feeds cause tick paralysis.’
- ‘The bacteria Rickettsia rickettsii that cause an RMSF infection are carried by the dog tick in the eastern United States and by the wood tick in the Rocky Mountain states.’
- ‘My students at Mitchell School found the first wood tick of the year.’
- ‘The disease that may best explain Clark's Three Forks fever is Colorado tick fever, a viral infection transmitted by the wood tick.’
- ‘Colorado tick fever is caused by an RNA orbivirus transmitted by the D. andersoni wood tick.’
- ‘You want to use all brown jimmies, so that you can fashion a cake resembling an engorged wood tick?’
- ‘The wood tick is the principal vector in the western United States, whereas the dog tick is the most common vector in the eastern and southern United States.’
- ‘Tick bites can be from a variety of different species, the deer tick Ixodes dammini (Lyme disease carrier) and wood tick and dog tick, which are carriers of Rocky Mountain spotted fever, are most well known.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.