One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heater or stove that is fuelled by wood; a wood burner.
- ‘Have your fireplace or wood stove inspected annually to remove any creosote build-up, which can block the chimney, forcing toxic fumes back into your living room.’
- ‘As you snuggle in front of a cozy fire or bask in the warmth of your wood stove, you are taking part in a ritual of comfort and enjoyment handed down through the centuries.’
- ‘Snow dampened, our clothes hung on chairs round the old wood stove.’
- ‘I washed diapers in water heated on the wood stove.’
- ‘The wooden walls were thick, the shutters were permanently closed and the wood stove in the corner was going flat out.’
- ‘Debris too close to the fireplace, or to a wood stove, could easily catch fire.’
- ‘They reached the Takakkaw Falls warden cabin, where they slept, all in one room with a smoking wood stove.’
- ‘Supervise children and pets closely around wood stoves and fireplaces.’
- ‘"People who live with a wood stove find it cozy," he says, adding that the slower fire is "very mesmerizing."’
- ‘Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures where wood stoves are in use, so you can adjust burning practices as needed’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.