One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A creeping Eurasian woodland plant, with clover-like leaves and pink or white flowers that are typically streaked with purple.
- ‘We went in on a path where the cottonwood trees towered high above us and the leaves cast patterns of sunlight on the wood sorrel road.’
- ‘The yarn would usually be mordanted with oxalic acid from wood sorrel, iron, or even an alkaline solution made from stale urine.’
- ‘As a result, Forager charges fairly hefty prices for its wares: a flat rate of £15 per kilogram box, whether it be full of grey field blewit mushrooms, or a spicy and piquant selection of wood sorrel, wild chervil and dandelion leaves.’
- ‘Areas cleared of rhododendrons will be recolonised with plants such as bluebells, wood sorrel and honeysuckle.’
- ‘The chef director is a fan of fresh spring salad leaves such as wood sorrel, bittercress, wild lamb's lettuce and ivy toadflax.’
- ‘The plant looks like some class of a clover or even a wood sorrel to me.’
- ‘Magnificent displays of bluebells are out just now and the ground vegetation also has an abundance of foxgloves, heath bedstraw and wood sorrel.’
- ‘Red mullet with tomato confit, watermelon, and buckwheat salad, fresh almonds and wood sorrel are all on the menu.’
- ‘It gathered flowers from the forest floor as they walked: yellow celandine and primrose, pale anemone, pink-veined wood sorrel, purple hepatica, lilac and plum violets.’
- ‘Venison (fresh and salted), wild boar, hazelnuts, berries, haws, crabapples, watercress, wood sorrel, and wild garlic are alluded to frequently as highly regarded wild foodstuffs.’
- ‘A nice forest-edge path leads off, buds bursting on the trees, the ground carpeted by wood sorrel with its pretty white flowers and origami-folded vivid leaves.’
- ‘If you like spring flowers then there are primroses, coltsfoot, dogs mercury, wood sorrel and many other species.’
- ‘Honeysuckle, fraochan, wood sorrel, bugle, blue-bell, few-flowered woodrush, royal fern, hay-scented buckler fern and foxglove all occur on the forest floor along with numerous mosses and liverworts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.