Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tree-nesting North American duck, the male of which has brightly coloured plumage.Also called Carolina duck
- ‘Plans are in place for wood duck houses, blue bird houses, and swallow houses.’
- ‘Within Myrtle Grove, the forest along Mattawoman Creek is home to the barred owl, various songbirds, wood ducks, and other waterfowl.’
- ‘The eerie squeal of a wood duck came from somewhere behind the gray tangle of naked oaks, willows cypress, elm, tupelo and cottonwood.’
- ‘Also, after reading the book and the emails posted above I agree that the egg is a hooded merganser egg and not a wood duck egg.’
- ‘National Wildlife Refuges have also helped some seriously depleted populations of birds and mammals, including beaver, wood duck, sea otter, and dozens of shorebirds.’
- ‘I just realized that our wood duck box had hooded mergansers in it and our bluebird boxes are full of swallows.’
- ‘Other species restrictions (one mottled duck, two wood ducks, two scaup, two redheads) would also apply.’
- ‘As we stroll on, we hear ovenbirds, see a towhee in the brush, and, down at Lake Perez, see a wood duck, tree swallows, a pair of spotted sandpipers, an osprey, and quite possibly the fattest robin I've ever seen.’
- ‘Specialties here include the magnificent hooded merganser, the rainbow-coloured wood duck, as well as lesser scaup, bufflehead and common goldeneye.’
- ‘White-tailed deer, beaver, and red fox are content with just about any vegetation and width, whereas wild turkey and wood duck prefer forested buffers over 35 feet wide.’
- ‘In April 2002, the team built and placed a number of bluebird and wood duck nest boxes.’
- ‘House wrens and chickadees compete for cankerworms and caterpillars; wood ducks, gray squirrels, flickers, and screech owls fight for the same nesting sites.’
- ‘We put two ponds on the property which attracts mallard ducks, wood ducks and a variety of waterfowl.’
- ‘He told me about the wood duck and the green-headed mallards illustrated on his conservation-society shower curtain - that they were perfectly fertile, and a mating between these birds resulted in normal numbers of healthy chicks.’
- ‘If anything you could argue that the footage is an albinistic wood duck from the way the wings flap and the speed that the bird in question leaves the tree - it doesn't have the flight pattern of a woodpecker at all.’
- ‘The wood duck was joined by Mallard and American Black Duck, as well as the usual Great Egret, Double-crested Cormorant, Canada Goose, and Mute Swan.’
- ‘They've constructed loon, goose, and duck nesting platforms as well as wood duck and bluebird houses.’
- ‘In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.’
- ‘Check your field guide to identify gadwalls, widgeons, wood ducks, hooded mergansers, ringnecks, and maybe a scalup or a canvasback.’
- ‘I thought to myself that the top of this hen didn't look like a female woody to me, but then again I have never really looked at a hen wood duck from this angle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.