One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad movement campaigning for women's liberation and rights.
- ‘Opposing this reading, there is a women's movement that claims that it is possible to achieve liberation within the framework of Islam.’
- ‘Before the First World War there was a women's movement and a workers' movement and a peace movement.’
- ‘So, my model is sort of the civil rights movement model, the women's movement, the movement to end the war in Vietnam.’
- ‘Various limited local campaigns brought national significance to the women's movement.’
- ‘The failure of the environmental movement is symptomatic of the failure of most liberal social movements, including the labor, civil rights and women's movements.’
- ‘Our advocates and allies in the women's movement and the community movement become facilitators of this process.’
- ‘I shall consider the human rights movement (and the women's movement as a central part of this) in the next chapter.’
- ‘However, in France there was no history of a women's movement for political rights before the war.’
- ‘It happened in our country in the Dalit movement, it happened with the women's movement; but these are rare examples.’
- ‘This was true, in particular, of the women's movement, and now is true of the gay-rights movement.’
- ‘Although the intifada is a rather late phenomenon, it was preceded by grassroot mobilization in the form of women's movements, student's movements, trade unions and solidarity organizations.’
- ‘But now it's back on telly as the outward looking women's movements of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s has been replaced with the idea that the contest is a triumph of ‘girl power’.’
- ‘She feels that women's movements can take their campaigning to the level of a social movement, only if they can do rehabilitation work too.’
- ‘However, the closures have not managed to curtail a defiant women's movement that has been one of the most visible oppositional movements in Iran.’
- ‘Increasingly, also, the color purple denoted the arrival and staying power of politically meaningful women's movements in the public arena of all advanced industrial democracies.’
- ‘I saw the birth of the civil rights and women's movements and experienced the hope for the equality that these movements were to provide.’
- ‘Yet the discipline has not paid much attention to women's movements for peace and cooperation.’
- ‘That same evening three other chullu bars in other villages were given similar treatment in a campaign that has won support from women's movements across the subcontinent.’
- ‘Given women's limited substantive gains in official politics, it is not surprising that women's movements in Canada have been ambivalent about liberal democracy and the political party system.’
- ‘Issues to be discussed include the interaction between women's movements and the government, and how the campaigns spread beyond the war and beyond Britain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.