One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavily built short-legged carnivorous mammal with a long brown coat and a bushy tail, native to northern tundra and forests in Eurasia and North America.
Gulo gulo, family Mustelidae
- ‘Fishers are among the least understood of the weasel family, or mustelids, which also includes martens, minks, ermines, ferrets, badgers, otters, and wolverines.’
- ‘Brown and black bears, wolves, wolverines and mountain goats roam the mountains, while millions of migratory birds rest and feed along mudflats and estuaries.’
- ‘The researchers discovered shards of bone from mammoths, musk ox, brown bear, wolverine, rhinoceros, hares, bison, horses, reindeer, and cave lion.’
- ‘Especially vulnerable are large, far-ranging carnivores like grizzly bears, mountain lions, panthers, wolverines, and lynx - animals that may travel 100 miles in just a few days.’
- ‘The weasel family includes such colourful characters as otters, wolverines, skunks, minks and badgers.’
- ‘Pugnacious, bold, and curious, like other weasels, the wolverine is omnivorous and consumes a wide range of edible roots and berries, small game, and fish.’
- ‘They are hunted by coyotes, badgers, foxes, owls, and wolverines.’
- ‘Bobcats, wolverines, and fishers, that know how to flip the animal on its back and expose its unprotected underside, are the most adept at killing porcupines.’
- ‘Predators of erethizontids include mustelids such as martens, minks, wolverines, ermine, weasels, and fishers.’
- ‘It's the mascot of the University of Michigan's college football team, but it's unlikely you'll see a wolverine in the Wolverine State - or most of the rest of the country, for that matter.’
- ‘Black bears, grizzly bears, polar bears, wolverines, mountain lions, a number of snakes and even lynx, badgers and black flies might kill you in the wild in Canada.’
- ‘Murkowski says his bill poses no danger to the migratory birds, caribou, wolverines, musk oxen, polar and grizzly bears that live in the Refuge, but a look 60 miles to the west, location of the Prudhoe Bay oil fields, proves him wrong.’
- ‘Roads fragment wildlife habitat, eliminating creatures that require big tracts of undeveloped land such as forest birds, elk, caribou, lynx, wolves, wolverines, and grizzlies.’
- ‘Whereas the largest are fairly well researched, knowledge of the fisher, wolverine, river otter, mink, lynx, bobcat, and raccoon is almost entirely from anecdote.’
- ‘Wolves, wolverines, and brown bears crisscross its terrain.’
- ‘It is a predator's showcase, home not just to wolves and grizzlies, but wolverines, lynx, bobcat, marten, fisher, black bear, mountain lion, golden eagle, bald eagle, coyote, fox, weasel.’
- ‘The area's most famous animal resident is, naturally, the reindeer, but wolverines, arctic foxes and bears also thrive in the region's wilds.’
- ‘The delta is a stopover for as many as 16 million migrating shorebirds and waterfowl every year and home to numerous other species, including wolves, wolverines, lynx and sea lions.’
- ‘The bear, wolf, coyote, fisher, wolverine, otter, and lynx prey upon the beaver who is, nevertheless, a powerful antagonist when at bay.’
- ‘Copeland, the U.S. Forest Service researcher, and other scientists are studying how wolverines cover these immense distances and connect seemingly isolated populations as they roam.’
Late 16th century (earlier as wolvering): formed obscurely from wolv-, plural stem of wolf.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.