One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white or greyish mineral typically occurring in tabular masses in metamorphosed limestone. It is a silicate of calcium and is used as a source of rock wool.
- ‘The front fascia is reinforced with mica while the rear fascia, rocker panels, tear bumper cover and the spoiler are reinforced with wollastonite to enhance the stiffness and strength.’
- ‘As wollastonite is a natural mineral, compounds containing wollastonite can be recycled.’
- ‘Calcium-rich species in the wollastonite area are not pyroxenes but pyroxenoids.’
- ‘The main minerals identified were mainly calcite also some diopside, wollastonite, iron oxides and a few scattered dolomite crystals.’
- ‘These include pectolite, wollastonite, and johannsenite but also several of the minerals that are unique to the Kalahari manganese field, such as effenbergerite, wesselsite, kornite, and hennomartinite.’
- ‘The white medallions presented as the first European porcelain are indeed Bottger's, but they're not ‘porcelain,’ but an alabaster fluxed ceramic in which wollastonite (a silicate of calcium) replaces mullite.’
- ‘The groundmass of these leucocratic segregations is heterogeneous, consisting of centimeter-scale regions dominated by nepheline, natrolite, alkali feldspar, or wollastonite.’
- ‘High-T wollastonite + vesuvianite + grossular-bearing assemblages within neighbouring skarns that developed by reaction with exsolving H 2 O-rich volatiles support this conclusion.’
- ‘Even collectible new minerals have made recent appearances, including hubeiite and associated inesite from the Fengjiashan wollastonite mine at Daye, Hubei Province.’
- ‘The Badger Flats area is also well known for clinozoisite, garnet, hematite, scheelite, vesuvianite, wollastonite, and zoisite (variety thulite).’
- ‘If the three bulk titanite fractions and wollastonite from the same rock are combined a Model - 1 isochron with a slope equivalent to an age of 2056.01.5 Ma is obtained.’
- ‘The skarn layer has a massive texture with two assemblages, wollastonite + quartz + diopside and prehnite + datolite + actinolite + K - feldspar, which have been interpreted as evidence of hydrothermal metasomatism of carbonate rocks.’
Early 19th century: from the name of W. H. Wollaston (see Wollaston, William Hyde) + -ite.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.