Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of various shrubs of the genus Lycium, in particular the goji berry.
- ‘These individuals should take ejiang, jujube, small red bean, the fruit of the wolfberry (gouqi) and angelica (danggui).’
- ‘Shrubby patches of wild plum, wolfberry, and narrow-leaved meadowsweet provide nesting and perching sites for open-country birds such as horned larks, loggerhead shrikes, and upland sandpipers.’
- ‘The wolfberry bush grows in the northwest part of China and the fruit has been credited with properties of improving visual acuity and general health.’
2The fruit of the wolfberry.
- ‘We used modern biological extraction technology to obtain extracts of reishi, ginseng, wolfberry, peony, and licorice.’
- ‘China Wolfberry Holding Company, the world's biggest manufacturer of wolfberry wine, plans to float its shares in Hong Kong in the next 18 months.’
- ‘The Ningxia-based company, which sells wolfberry fruit wine under the Ning Xia Hong brand name, counts the likes of Wal-Mart, Carrefour, Lianhua and Home World among its customers.’
- ‘Raw materials include 15 grams of longan, a kind of dried Chinese fruit, 10 grams of fruits of Chinese wolfberries and 100 grams of black rice.’
- ‘Its content consists of 50 % of green tea extract, 30 % of spine date and 20 % of Chinese wolfberry.’
- ‘Top each grapefruit slice with eight wolfberries.’
- ‘Gouqi Cha, tea made of wolfberry fruit and boiling water, is an ideal drink for those who want to protect or improve their vision.’
- ‘Also known as wolfberry, the goji berry grows in Tibet, China, and Mongolia and is revered in Traditional Chinese Medicine as an anti-aging herb.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.