One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The place in a court where a witness stands to give evidence.
- ‘He accepted that in the witness box and was supporting the Claimant because he felt she had the right to try.’
- ‘Her strength of character was evident during her time in the witness box.’
- ‘The boy, now a man, nearly broke down in the witness box as he gave evidence.’
- ‘On Wednesday, Dainty became the first of the three councillors to go into the witness box at Nottingham Crown Court.’
- ‘On the second day of the hearing Mr Sissen spent over four hours in the witness box giving evidence on the origins of each of the 144 birds.’
- ‘But in the witness box at Manchester Crown Court, Salim said there was no truth in the woman's claims.’
- ‘In the witness box, it was evident that she could not accept the psychologist's conclusions.’
- ‘An accomplice can get into the witness box and give a whole lot of evidence that is common ground.’
- ‘Both the complainant and the defendant were in the witness box over two days.’
- ‘His evidence in the witness box that these references to a loan were ‘ironic’ cannot be accepted.’
- ‘The victim cried repeatedly in the witness box at York Crown Court as she described how Volans kicked her in the head after coming to her house.’
- ‘Yesterday, Hughes went into the witness box at Nottingham Crown Court to support his own not guilty plea.’
- ‘I was concerned by the degree of animosity displayed in the witness box by the respondent to the applicant.’
- ‘They involve each claimant getting into the witness box and giving evidence as to what happened to them.’
- ‘The jury had seen the three complainants in the witness box for an extensive period.’
- ‘Mr Saffron gave the evidence, and gave it in the witness box, as well as in his written statement.’
- ‘Having heard Juke in the witness box we are sure that his evidence would not have raised doubts in the jury's minds as to the guilt of either defendant.’
- ‘The first prosecution witness, Miss Louise Papps, is called to the witness box.’
- ‘The situation here was precisely the same evidentially as if Gilbert had not gone into the witness box and had not pleaded guilty.’
- ‘The grey shirt with orange arms was held up in evidence in the witness box and displayed to the seven women and five men of the jury.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.