One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Foolish; stupid.‘a witless retort’
foolish, stupid, unintelligent, idiotic, brainless, mindless, imbecilic, imbecileView synonyms
- ‘In fact, it seems that you are nothing more than a debunker without a basis for your witless inane statements!’
- ‘Poor Nina, as a student at the University, was required to suffer the idiots pestering her with puns as witless and unintelligent as themselves.’
- ‘We've always had a good old chuckle at his witless expense.’
- ‘You'd never guess such a thing from this 75-minute sample of puerile rubbish that is listless, witless, and devoid of anything resembling humor.’
- ‘And unless the powers that be and their witless supporters get that through their thick skulls, failure is what we are most likely to get.’
- ‘It may have been fruity with a generous helping of tacky but for $7.50 I could forget that Valentine's Day was nothing more than a cheap, stupid marketing ploy designed to suck money from the witless masses.’
- ‘I now have to share this island with the most wretched, witless, humourless, colourless, featureless, brainless, mindless people who have shared this planet since homo sapiens evolved.’
- ‘He will be witless and will revel in childish things like fighting and kicking a ball about.’
- ‘Thus, in Mrs. Kerry's brainless and witless offhand yet pregnant remark, we hear the sick thud of the other shoe dropping.’
- ‘Which leads me to a sense of wonder: Can there really be that many tasteless, stupid tourists about to keep a show this witless and sorry afloat for so long?’
- 1.1as complement To such an extent that one cannot think clearly or rationally.‘I was scared witless’
out of one's mind, to death, to tears, silly, stupid, sickView synonyms
- ‘It is used to hold thick doors open, crush particularly large spiders and scare witless those English students who have to read it.’
- ‘I suddenly realized how foolish I was acting, scared witless by a simple dream.’
Old English witlēas ‘crazy, dazed’ (see wit, -less).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.