One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Inside the distance to which someone can stretch out their hand.
- ‘She sat at her old desk, and we arranged things within reach and tried to keep the most frequently used items close to the seating position.’
- ‘I pulled my chair even closer to the desk so I was in reach of the pen and paper along with the notes.’
- ‘After one particularly long submersion, Blair spotted a log stretched out across the river just within reach of his outstretched hands.’
- ‘I tried to stand back up, but only managed to move just within reach of the latch.’
- 1.1 Inside a distance that can be travelled.‘a 1930s semi within easy reach of the town centre’
- ‘However, most simply prefer the calm atmosphere which now pervades the town and its convenient location within reach of some of the Lake District's more peaceful and harder-to-reach lakes and mountains.’
- 1.2 Within the capacity of someone to attain something.‘the arrangement is well within the reach of the average dancer’
achievable, obtainable, accessible, within reach, at hand, reachable, winnable, securable, realizableView synonyms
- ‘Improvement is always within reach and always attainable.’
- ‘With no damage to his mind or his hands, he knew practicing pediatric medicine was still within reach.’
- ‘The affordability, and quality of digital video and sophisticated postproduction systems put these possibilities well within reach.’
- ‘For some uncanny reason, the moments at which you stumble are those when you are within reach of attaining some long-sought goal.’
- ‘But accelerated progress is possible, and lies within reach.’
- ‘The £18 million public-private partnership will provide 250 low-cost homes to rent, bringing properties within reach of tenants on low incomes.’
- ‘A club that has always boasted potential is now a club who are within reach of their first Senior Championship crown in 29 years.’
- ‘They saw school achievement as within reach if they put forth the necessary effort, and they were willing to make good grades a primary goal.’
- ‘I'm a writer because I find literature exhilarating, and because the possibility of writing something beautiful seems almost within reach.’
- ‘Performance is manageable and success is within reach.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.