One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Near enough to reach by the means specified.‘her flat is within walking distance’
- ‘No need for transfers as the terminal is within walking distance.’
- ‘Now, significant clusters have formed within driving distance of airport towns such as Carcassonne and Perpignan.’
- ‘Gelston's men though needed more wickets to keep the run-rate within hailing distance of their own flimsy haul of 126.’
- ‘Number 48 will appeal to those buyers who want a period property in very good condition within walking distance of their place of work.’
- ‘How about stopping at the most popular scenic spots that are located within a stones throwing distance from the parking lots?’
- ‘On the trail of jingo-narcissism, it's difficult to stay within shouting distance of television.’
- ‘I wanted a good, quiet midprice restaurant within walking distance: the concierge trotted out three, and offered to reserve a table.’
- ‘As I live within a short walking distance of a river, I was happy to discover that the chance of my home flooding each year is just 1 in 1,000 or less.’
- ‘As the Lanarkshire club finally moves to within touching distance of breaking even, it will pain him to leave responsibility for it in someone else's hands.’
- ‘Don't compare the skill, courage, or attitudes of your children with other members of the team, at least within their hearing distance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.