Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In addition; as a further factor or consideration:‘the whole is light and portable, and ornamental withal’
- ‘The turkey is a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America.’
- ‘But he was a magnificent all-round fieldsman withal.’
- ‘Nothing that we can do will alter the inscrutable and withal immutable laws which direct our progress on this globe.’
- ‘And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword.’
- ‘Srinath is a South Indian, rice-eating vegetarian - and withal, a world-class fast bowler.’
- ‘Thou art the source of light and withal my own true self.’
- 1.1 All the same; nevertheless (used when adding something that contrasts with a previous comment):‘she gave him a grateful smile, but rueful withal’
nevertheless, nonetheless, all the same, just the same, anyway, anyhow, still, yet, however, notwithstanding, despite that, in spite of that, for all that, be that as it may, in any event, at any rateView synonyms
- ‘It would be splendid for his woodblock-cutting methods - the stone upon stone, its grim severity and grace withal.’
- ‘All this having been true to Burbank, if I caught his thought correctly, the great scientist's tolerant, yet withal inflexible, attitude toward those who were disparaging and excoriating him is entirely understandable.’
- ‘For what are idols but what the same Scripture describes in these words: ‘Eyes have they, and they do not see,’ and whatever else may be said of substances however skillfully carved into shape, but withal lacking life and sense?’
With (used at the end of a clause):‘we sat with little to nourish ourselves withal but vile water’
Middle English: originally as with all.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.