One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a state of dejection or humiliation.‘we took Lily in when she came back from London with her tail between her legs’
- ‘Proponents of this philosophy tend to ignore the fact that for every successful convert in the fields of play or coaching, there have been nine who scuttled back to rugby league with their tail between their legs.’
- ‘I got my bill and left a hefty tip, leaving with my tail between my legs.’
- ‘You walked away from Korea with your tail between your legs.’
- ‘I made a bunch of money and lost it, and then came back to New York City with my tail between my legs, essentially.’
- ‘I can walk away from here with my head held high - I am certainly not going away with my tail between my legs.’
- ‘The last meeting I had with Sony I was sent off with my tail between my legs as if I was doing a very stupid thing with the material on this album.’
- ‘I will not retreat to Canada with my tail between my legs.’
- ‘When I left, I left publicly and not with my tail between my legs.’
- ‘Depressed beyond belief I left with my tail between my legs.’
- ‘At worst they would be stripped of their titles and prize money, banned from future competitions, and sent home with their tail between their legs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.