One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express the fact that what one is giving is free.‘all drinks will be supplied with our compliments’
- ‘To those two groups, I say enjoy it with my compliments.’
- ‘The winner will receive, with our compliments, an incredible week-long holiday in a luxury villa in sunkissed Marbella.’
- ‘We were very sorry to hear about the theft and we were happy to give them a replacement with our compliments and hope that they have a very merry Christmas.’
- ‘A Mexican businessman sent over a bottle of three-year-old rum, with his compliments, and then came to join the party.’
- ‘I have passed your comments onto our buying team and I'm enclosing £1.00 with my compliments and best wishes.’
- ‘Also we have returned your cheque as the photograph is sent with our compliments.’
- ‘Please accept this free copy of The Word Among Us magazine with my compliments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.