One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Untruthfully; deceitfully.‘the honourable gentleman occasionally speaks with forked tongue’
- ‘But is it not speaking with forked tongue to call this piece of legislation racist?’
- ‘No doubt there will be members who will speak with forked tongue, and who will deliberately try to misconstrue that.’
- ‘So, it appears that this god-fearing, compassionate, angelic, caring, woman has spoken with forked tongue?’
- ‘It would seem that ex-CIA man speaks with forked tongue.’
- ‘Ever since then I have always felt this man spoke with forked tongue.’
- ‘Which just goes to show that even self-proclaimed seekers of the truth sometimes speak with forked tongue - whatever their accent.’
- ‘Unable to speak with forked tongue, they might be obliged to speak the truth or at least stand firm on the side of a single opinion.’
- ‘But the PlayStation game speaks with forked tongue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.